Friday, August 12, 2005

The Final Part

Here is the final part of my story.

We grabbed the rest of our stuff and then set off for Wanaka with a beautiful view of the mountains following us. We travelled through the mountain range, along a beautiful river and eventually reached the small town of Cadrona. As we were hungry we decided to stop for lunch at a quaint little hotel pub. The reason I’m telling you this is that we found out after that the very same pub we ate in was also the set of the Prancing Pony of Bree in the movie The Lord of the Rings. Half an hour after our lunch we arrived in Wanaka and soon found our hotel. It was a nice looking place run by a couple from Sydney.
The next morning it was up to the mountains for some down-hill skiing. We all took a lesson it get the basics of it as we had already learnt how to ski the previous year. After our lesson we did a few more practise runs before we hoped onto the ski-lift and went up to the peak. It was an exhilarating trip back down with frequent stopping required. We called it a day as we were all tired so we went back to the hotel to relax. The next morning we went back up to the mountain. This time I was learning how to snowboard. As I was the only one in the class I got a chance to have a private lesson with Kylie. This meant I got the chance the learn everything I needed in only half the time. I practised on the easy slopes before I worked up the courage to try something steeper. I went on the chairlift by myself and slide down the peak again. Unfortunately I missed the turning I was meant to take and ended up going down a trial that was too narrow for beginners to manage. The result was me falling over a lot.
The next morning was time for us to leave, I struggled out of bed, and my arms were aching. We packed everything into the car and headed up to Lake Tekapo. Along the way we were greeted with the most spectacular site ever. Photos could never capture the beauty of what we saw. Driving along the road we came around a bend and a lake stretched out before us. This was not like any other lake we have seen. It was a magnificent turquoise colour. The water looked like it had come fresh from a glacier. In fact it had, when the ice in the mountains melt it carries down a very fine dust called Rock Flour. When the water reacts with the sunlight it creates this beautiful, deep pale blue colour. We stopped and took heaps of pics because it was just amazing. After a dozen or so different shots from various angles we left to get to the next place.
We shortly arrived in the town of Tekapo and settled into the B&B we were staying in. We went into the town for dinner and had some great pizza. Then we went back to the B&B for an early night. I took the chance to use their computer to check up on people’s blogs and to write a quick entry. I tried to get an early night but couldn’t really sleep that well, not to mention I was aching all over from the snowboarding the previous day.
We got up early for breakfast (I don’t know why we do it we’re meant to be on holiday) then headed out to Round hill ski field for a couple of hours of skiing. We did alright; I managed to get more footage of my parents skiing.
After that we left Tekapo and drove back up to Christchurch through the long and windy roads.
We had a quite night in, like most of our nights actually. We ate KFC for dinner then went to bed early. After we woke up we took the rental car back and settled in for a couple hours of waiting at the airport. I took this opportunity to do some shopping for my friends.
It only took 3 hours to fly back to Sydney, I watched Sahara on the in-flight movie because I had nothing to read. We arrived back at Sydney airport, where my Mum’s shoes set off the metal detectors. Next we went through customs; my mum was stopped again because of medication. My Dad and I had already passed through before we even noticed she was missing. She eventually made it out again, annoyed at us for not waiting. We waited about 3 hours for the flight back to Perth, which took 4 hours to get there. I bought a book at Sydney so I didn’t bother with the movie.
When we got back to the beautiful city of Perth, I was greeted at the terminal gate by a most wondrous site. My gorgeous girlfriend Fiona came to the airport to meet me.
Once I had put my luggage in my parent’s car I hopped into Fiona’s car and we went and got some coffee. We had decided to give each other our presents on that night, so I gave her a matching pair of earrings and a necklace. I had also bought a little crystal statue that changes colour depending on what angle you hold it at.
Fiona had gotten me a large photo portrait of herself, wearing a fairies costume. She looks so cute, I’ll have to try and get a good photo of it to show everyone. Unfortunately I haven’t found anywhere to hang it yet, and there really isn’t anywhere to stand it up. So I will have to think of something.We ended up staying out till 2am, we had a wonderful time together, and I was so glad to be back with her.

I hoped you enjoyed the exciting tale of my New Zealand trip. If you would like more information about anything you have read about, please don't hesitate to ask.

No comments: