Wednesday, August 03, 2005

My Trip

A couple of weeks ago I was in New Zealand, I would have still been in Christchurch actually. During one of our long driving trips, I decided to make a little journal of our trip. It is nothing special but I talk about some of the things we did. I've got most things down but if I notice any that I missed, I will add it later.
Seeing as its a few pages long I thought I would only put it up bit by bit. I don't want to make it too long in case it puts anyone of reading it; also, it means you will have to keep checking to find out more about my trip. So here goes...


Well here I am sitting in the backseat of our Ford Escape, driving yet again to our next destination.

This time we are going to Queenstown. It will take us 4 hours and 25 minutes to get there. So far we have been driving for 1 hour. I've finished reading my Harry Potter book so there isn't an awful lot for me to do. I decided to turn my attention towards writing. This will only serve to distract me for another hour, well according to the laptop power anyway.

I think it will now be time to regale you with the various adventures and whatnot that occurred during the trip so far.


It was a cold morning and the sun hadn't even reached the horizon. We woke up at 4:15am to prepare for the trip ahead of us.

We arrived at Perth airport at 6am, the sun only just peeking over the hills. We stood in the long line of people waiting for their boarding tickets. After a short wait in the QANTAS club check-in we passed through security. We found a few seats available together and sat down to wait for our plane to start boarding.

A soft voice called out over the PA system for all passengers on the flight to Adelaide to start boarding now. Once the que had shortened we got up, dragged our hand luggage onto the plane, and found our seats. The plane taxied to the runway and the roar of the engines soon drowned out all noise. Passengers were forced back into their seats as the jet turbines thrust the plane into the air.

The plane levelled out and passengers could finally relax. Breakfast was served and only after a couple of hours did we slowly descended into Adelaide. It was only an hour wait until we boarded for the plane to Sydney. After a couple of hours we had touched down in Australia's largest airport. We took a shuttle to the international airport were we had a 5 hour wait for the flight.

In less then an hour is was sitting in the comfortable seat of the QANTAS club, sipping a Bacardi and diet coke while nibbling on some cold meat and cheese. The 5 hours seemed to pass by quickly as I read my book and drank complimentary drinks.

Anyway, to cut a long story short we fly to Christchurch and arrived at the hotel at 1:30am. I gave Fiona a call to tell her how things went, and then I curled up into bed to get some sleep.

The next day we picked up our hire car then had a little drive around Christchurch. The second day we visited Hanmer Springs where we got the privilege of soaking in some thermal springs. The water is heated by a local volcano where it is the pumped into some pools. The coolest pool was 36C while the hottest was 41C. We enjoyed a couple of relaxing hours soaking in the water before we headed back to Christchurch.

Thursday meant that we had to leave the cosy Manor and drive to Dunedin. It was a 5-hour drive straight there but we stoped in this nice town called Timaru. We had lunch and a great cappuccino before we hoped back into the car and kept driving.

The sun was slowly setting by the time we reached our next destination.

The sound of small rocks crunching under the tires suited the image before us. The setting sun bathed the century old castle in golden beauty. The flag above the battlements flapped in the wind, and a gander of geese waddled to the fountain sitting in the well-kept courtyard. We climbed the stones steps, flanked by two stone lions, and rand the doorbell. A kind faced woman answered the door and proceeded to check us in. We drove the car around the castle to the stables at the back and parked.

No comments: