Thursday, September 01, 2005

Holding Back...

Today I was at Armadale shopping centre. I reversed into a parking bay, switched off my engine and heard a strange sound. A couple of women walked past my car, at first I thought they were looking at me, then I realised they were looking at the van next to me. Inside were a small child, and a baby in the back seat. It was crying, hence the noise and peculiar looks.
I started thinking; I should call the police or something. But my mind started
to make excuses, the window was half-open, the mother would be back soon. So I walked away, against better judgement I didn’t do anything. Of course, I made the deal with myself, “I won’t be long, and if they’re still there when I come back I’ll make the call”.
Luckily, the mother came back. I noticed a woman leaving the shopping centre when I entered it. I watched her walk in between the cars until she came to a rest next to the van. She opened the door and comforted the crying baby.
Seeing that still didn’t ease the voice inside me that said, “You should have done something; you had the power in your hands to help. The police were less then a minute away. It wouldn’t even have been a bother for them.”
So I asked myself, what would I do the next time that happens, or something similar? As a human, I’m more then capable to do anything I put my mind to. All I need to do is take that step. What happened happened. All I can do is learn from it.
Now the big question comes back to you the reader. What are you holding back? Is there something you know you should do now but keep making up excuses? Is there someone waiting for you to tell them that you love them?
I put it towards anyone who has read this, why delay? Maybe there won’t be a next time.

No comments: